Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Prompt 7 - Psychic Atlas

1 the first is the last
20 twenty is the last but, as things are given, it’s actually the second number of the list. Despite being the higher number on the list, twenty is not the first number
9 is the day I was born, and it’s three times three, which, as we know, it’s an important number
3 three it’s a beautiful number cause non-native English speakers often pronounce it as TREE or FREE 
16 sixteen it’s for rituals of passage, in Mexico apparently they break piñatas with candies inside when a girl turn 16. In America 16 years old girls get a car, or not. 
19 are the candies that fall from the piñatas hitting the poor Mexican girl on the head
(82) Even if it should not be on the list, because the list goes from number 1 to number 20, 82 is lead’s number on the element’s table. Lead happens to be the candies’ material falling from the piñata on the (poor) Mexican girl turning 16. 
2 two is the biggest lie ever, the origin of every problem. The other side of the apple doesn’t exist, symmetry neither
6 six, interesting number: in Italian six is pronounced as “you are”. I’m open to discussion, but I have to remind you that six is three times two, therefore TREE or FREE (3) may not exist (see number two). 
XVII seventeen.   VIXI, Latin, I lived. If I lived, I’m dead.  17 interestingly enough is linked with number two and also number sixteen if that Mexican girl has a thin skull. 
4. Four is the crossway of three lines, or two, or one bended.  This graphical conception confirms that often one thing means another. 
11 graphically speaking, how weird is it that 9/11 was on 9/11, as if the number contained the events. 
5 five guys. Thibault eats five guys a lot and I enjoy it too sometimes. 
14 I suspect that fourteen is my mental age. At that age I enjoy pointing at a map and imagining my life in the place on which my finger hazardously fell. This thing that I used to do was surely an anticipation of what this prompt would have been.  
7 seven is the rhythm of our moods, how do you feel Sunday night? 
13 Thirteen it’s absurd. I never think about thirteen. Now that I think about it I feel like I neglected it. 
8 Eight o’clock in two hours. One hour and fifty minutes to be precise. 
10 ten are the places I could have tought of living, all at the same time, if I only used all my fingers to point on the map that I used to play with as child . That would have been confusing.
12 twelve on the clock points to the sky, are the numbers on the clock positioned as the sun ? OMG. Western movies
(15/18)  Between me and me, what is my work? To create microenvironments that seem autonomous, that have their own language, and that, hopefully, reveal a form of necessity. To contaminate thoughts, to shift identities.  

No comments:

Post a Comment