Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Prompt 1 (MA)















Frida Kahlo painting
The Two Fridas, 1939


I admire Frida Kahlo and respect the contribution she made to art. When I see this painting I am reminded of the duality that is inherent in us all. I am inspired by her ability to display vulnerability and emotion with such raw intensity. I am mostly drawn to this painting because it makes me think of how all people are connected and how we are divided only by our respective cultures and the clashes between independence and interdependence. I suppose my main point is that when I see this image, it makes me think of things that I feel are important in relation to humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment